Friday, December 26, 2008

White Christmas

It took 35 years and a trip to New Jersey, but I had my first ever white Christmas. It wasn't freshly fallen snow, but there was lots of it; so I am counting it. My friend Beth and her family took pity on the orphan this Christmas and invited me up to their house for the last two days. I had a wonderful time. She has a 15 year old step-daughter and an almost 3 year old. It was exactly what my lagging Christmas spirit needed. Christmas through the eyes of the young is the best way to view Christmas.

We started Christmas Eve with a delicious dinner cooked by Beth's mom. Can I just say she was wasted on the corporate world - she belongs in a kitchen. We spent the rest of the evening opening gifts and talking around the tree. In all honesty, I spent most of the evening playing with Giulia's new doll house - it is AMAZING. I love "old-fashioned" wood toys - they are so much cooler than the plastic crap that is out there these days. It is nice to see that Beth must have similar feelings. They have some seriously cool toys in their house. I would have stolen the doll house if I could have figured out how to get in to my car in the snow and ice.

Christmas morning I had the joy of watching the girls take in their Santa stash. They must have both been very good this year. Calla got more sports equipment this one year than I have accumulated in a lifetime. She also received my idea of heaven - an entire box of books. Giulia can now play a mean game of dress up and is now a budding ballerina.

All in all it helped turn what I had in my head made into a horrible Christmas a most delightful one. I will say it one more time - I have absolutely hands down the best friends in the world.

Parents coming to town today. Excited to see them, but not sure how we are all going to fit into my small apartment. Wish me luck. Hope everyone had a great holiday. Talk to all of you soon.

2 comments:

Me said...

I'm so glad you managed to salvage Christmas after all!

Anonymous said...

i counted, i got 98 books (i'm really not sure where dad and beth expect me to put them all, cuz come on you saw my room, its a mess and no space at all for MORE stuff). So glad you got to experience the christmas you wanted, it was awesome having you over and hopefully you'll do it again next year or in an upcoming year before i go to college! and by the way, i fell bringing the trash can up the drive way after you left, it was rather embarrassing lol. LOST is insane, this season is amazing me with every episode i watch. I'm almost done with it so we will have to talk about it soon (i have some more theories that are probably waaaaaayyyy off :p). Miss ya Tam, hope we see you at Giulia's birthday party!!
-Calla