Monday, November 3, 2008

Call woes

I am on call again. It seems like a common occurrence. In truth, I don't take a huge amount of call here. I average about 4 calls a month - not bad. I think there are a couple of reasons it seems bad - one call here SUCKS. I don't think I have ever had what I would consider a "good" call night. If I can get out of here without given chest compressions, opening a chest, intubating or running someone to the operating room - I consider it a win. The other reason is that my call always seems to be lumped. For example, for the month of November - I have the 3rd, 8th and 13th - and then I am finished for the month. It is not all that fun for the two weeks that I take all my call, but it is very nice for the other two weeks of the month.

I feel a little guilty complaining. It could be SO MUCH worse. It is just when I am in the middle of the call - it is very hard to see the big picture. All I can see is that I am once again stuck in a smelly call room taking care of an unstable ICU. The good think is that I get to leave early in the morning.

My plans - run to the grocery store, take a shower, VOTE!, go to gym, take a nap - stay up all night watching election returns. I am a little sad to see it coming to a close. I am such a political junkie - what will I watch at night now? I am not really into many TV shows anymore. Lost my one and only show hasn't started their new season yet. CNN is less exciting without all the political pundits. Oh well, I guess I can read more.

Just a quick reminder for those who haven't voted yet - tomorrow is the big day! Don't forget to vote.

0 comments: