Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proud American

I will admit that I am a bit bleary eyed this morning and could really benefit from a nap, but I am incredibly proud to call myself an American today. It was an amazing night. Election called relatively early (11 pm on East Coast) without any hanging chads or tampered machines. I had forgotten what one of those election nights felt like. It has been a few years - 8 as a matter of fact.

I will admit that I openly cried during his speech. I truly felt the historical significance of it. This will be one of those 'what were you doing when' moments. We haven't had a lot of those in my generation - and the ones we have had were not great memories. It is not all that fun to sit around and reminisce about what I was doing when the Challenger exploded or the Towers went down. This is a memory I can truly cherish.

He seemed subdued during his speech - understandable given the tragic passing of his grandmother, but I got the impression that part of the issue is that he truly understands the enormity of job he is undertaking. I like that about him. I want a President who understands it is a big deal - not someone trying to pass time during the off season in baseball. We have serious problems we are facing, and it is time for serious solutions.

Luckily, I only have one more case and then call it a day. It has been a tiring couple of days, but time well spent.

0 comments: