Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Screeching halt

Surgery is a funny thing. It is a profession of unbelievable highs and unfathomable lows, but it also is incredibly cyclical. For anyone that spends anytime around surgery or surgeons, they know exactly what I mean. Instead of having a constantly busy but steady stream of work, surgery tends more toward the all or nothing variety. I am either working my now sizable backside off or sitting on it twiddling my thumbs. There really is no in between.

Even more ironic is how shocked all surgeons are by this incredibly predictable occurrence. We complain when we have too much to do, but are even more vocal when things slow down. We start pacing the floors worrying that we have nothing to do, and let me tell you surgeons with time on their hands can be dangerous.

I say all of that to offer the following complaint. I have worked ridiculous hours for the past week and lived on very little sleep and today --- I did absolutely nothing. I went to work, but our one and only case was cancelled. I sat around all day reading and playing on the Internet. Unfortunately tomorrow looks about the same. We have only two cases, and one of them is looking kind of iffy. I don't mean to complain about a much needed rest, but is there no in between? Why can't the fates combine to produce a steady stream instead of flooding or drought conditions? Oh well - there are many things that I don't understand about the fates.

0 comments: