Thursday, October 23, 2008

Much to be Thankful for

I know that Halloween hasn't yet arrived, but I find that my thoughts have already turned to Thanksgiving. I loved Thanksgiving when I was growing up. We always ate a late "dinner" ( in the South that is what we call the mid-day meal) at my grandmother's house. My grandmother died on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving my fourth year of medical school. I will be honest - I haven't really enjoyed it much sense.

I have tried. I have planned elaborate dinners that I forced all of my family to attend. I forced friends from work to come to my house for Thanksgiving dinner - all trying to recapture my love for the holiday. I don't hate the holiday - I just don't get that bubble of excitement or anticipation that I used to get.

That finally changed this year. I was looking at my schedule yesterday - trying to make some plans about my Nashville trip when I noticed that I am not on first or second call from the Wednesday before Thanksgiving till Sunday. My first thought was actually oh no - now what am I going to do with all of that time. I decided to check out the price of tickets to fly home on a whim.

Bless our failing economies heart - tickets from Philly to Greenville-Spartanburg weren't only available, but actually had an affordable price. I try to call my mom to sell the idea of flying me home - she was in a meeting. So, I made the phone call that I should have made first. I called my dad. Now we all know that I am a daddy's girl, but even I usually have to hint gently at what I want. I started the conversation by saying - I was looking at my schedule and noticed that I am actually off over Thanksgiving. I didn't have to get any further. My dad says - find a ticket home - we'll pay for it. I love my dad.

So, that was a very long-winded way of telling you guys my news. I not only get to fly to Nashville to see my friends there in December - I also get to fly home for Thanksgiving. Very excited - I think I may need a warm weather break by then.

1 comments:

Me said...

We think we are starting the moving process this week, so hopefully you'll also get to come visit us here before you go home for Thanksgiving! Sounds like you'll have a wonderful month and a perfect Turkey Day!
-Jessica