Tuesday, September 30, 2008

You really are what you eat

I have a confession. This past June, I was a little stressed out about this whole move to a new city - start a new job thing. Therefore, as I am oft to due in a time of emotional turmoil, I turned to french fries. I am not going to lie and say that I have eaten perfect for the last four years, but I will say that my strays from the straight and narrow road have been minimal - and usually involve french fries. I had gained about 10 lbs back from the original 60 that I lost, but overall, I was doing okay. I always had plans to lose another 20 (I never got to my "perfect" weight the first time), but overall I was comfortable with my body.

This particular stray was different from the rest. It set off an emotional trigger somewhere in my head. I didn't stop with my one trip to McDonald's. I began a three and a half month tribute to eating crap, and believe me in a city known for less than healthy food, I had plenty of opportunity. I am not sure why I didn't stop. The light bulb moment finally came when I needed "real" clothes two weeks ago to wear to clinic, and struggled to find something that fit. I stepped on a scale - something that I had steadfastly avoided since moving here - and was appalled.

Needless to say, I am back on the straight and narrow. This is where my frustration comes into play. Now I am a little frustrated that the weight comes off at my age a lot less slowly that it goes on. (I know metabolisms slow down, but I am starting to think that mine is on permanent sabbatical. ) I am also a little frustrated that I let things get to this stage - 5-10 lbs is one thing - 20 lbs is quite different - particularly at 5'2".

However, my biggest frustration is my memory loss. I so easily forget how normal feels. When I eat as if I actually went to medical school and took a nutrition class, I don't just feel "healthier" - I feel better. It is easier to get out of bed in the morning. It is easier to go to the gym. I take the stairs at work on purpose. I have better skin. I sleep better. I all around have more energy, and with my schedule that truly makes a difference. How could I forget this feeling and settle for feeling like the crap that I was eating? I am supposed to be smarter than that right? Well, I am feeling good again and have lost 5 lbs - slower than I would like, but I'll take it. I still have a ways to go, but am confident that I will get there. I have even run twice this week. Stay tuned for updates.

P.S. Blessed and Happy New Year for my friends to which that statement makes since.

0 comments: