Sunday, September 21, 2008

Move over Gracie - I need a nap

I have never been a napper. I started sleeping through the night at an early age according to my mom, but even as a baby I didn't like sleeping during the day. I was the kid that always got in trouble during nap time in school. I didn't want to miss anything by going to sleep, and if I was awake why couldn't I talk to everyone else right? My teachers failed to see the logic in this, but I think I was just ahead of my time.

In college, most of my friends would take naps in the afternoon. Jackie could sleep 18 our of 24 hours and still complain about her schedule. I didn't get it. I always had other stuff I wanted to do, and didn't want to waste any of my precious time sleeping. Even during my surgical residency I wasn't a big napper. When I would get home post call I would force myself to stay awake until 7 or 8 and then just have an early night. I always felt that sleeping during the day just throw off my schedule.

Well, my body seems to have decided it has some nap catching up to do. During the past year, and particularly the past 6 months, I get incredibly and sometimes inexplicably sleepy in the middle of the afternoon. It seems to have nothing to do with how much or little sleep I get. When 1 or 2 o'clock rolls around, I start yawning and looking for a blankie. I can indulge these strange cravings on the weekend, but it is a little hard to take a nap in the middle of my work day. They frown upon snoring in the operating room. Aging is weird. Hopefully, like the terrible two's this is just a faze that I will outgrown. In the meantime - scoot over Gracie, Aunt Tammy needs a nap too.

0 comments: