Friday, August 8, 2008

DX: Homesickness

Being the brilliant surgeon that I am - I have spent several weeks trying to figure out what is wrong with me. My symptoms include: fatigue, muscle aches, headaches, increased appetite, sluggishness, and difficulty sleeping. Those of you who know me know that I came up with a pretty exciting list of potential illnesses. (Wow - that hour I was convinced I had malaria was fun). I mean I am the girl that went to the doctor last year convinced I was hypothyroid and walked away with the diagnosis of old age and bad career choice. I have thought long and hard, and the answer finally came to me today - well actually it first came to me on Tuesday. I am Homesick. Now you may ask homesick for where exactly . . . my answer - lots of places, Athens, Augusta, Nashville. Anyplace full of friendly faces and people that I enjoy.

My epiphany started on Tuesday. I finally got around to going to the DOT to get a Pennsylvania license. The reason I wanted a license had nothing to do with the "rule" that you are supposed to get a new license when you move - I have only had a Georgia license since I was 15 and that includes the two years I lived in the state of Tennessee. I wanted a license to vote. I finally live in a state that may actually be in play this Presidential election and I am an Obama girl. (No, there are no you-tube videos of me in short shorts and tight t-shirt so don't bother looking). I sat in the Penn License Center for 2 1/2 hours and waited in 4 seperate lines, including the line that I waited in so that I could get a number to wait. I had a book, and was very patient. However, when the time came to turn over my Georgia license, I wanted to cry. I know that seems a little overemotional, and I recognize that it is, but it is true none the less.

I got my new temporary license, registered to vote and went home and went straight to bed. It was 6 pm. Today, I got up and walked outside to my car. It was 5:30 am and cold. I mean I needed a sweater cold. That is when it hit me. I miss home. Fall days are enjoyable, and one of my favorite times of the year, but not in my frame of reference meant to be in August - early August at that. Seriously, we should still be in the hottest part of the summer. Here everyone is bemoaning the fact that summer is over.

I know that it is early still. I know that I will adjust. I know that there are lots of fun and exciting things to do in Philadelphia that I could do no where else in the world. However, at this particular time, I miss all of the things not in Philadelphia a lot.

I post this mostly as a warning. Many of you will be receiving a phone call this weekend. I have decided the best treatment for my illness is to indulge it. I plan to spend the weekend, since I am on call, catching up with all the people that I miss. Bare with me - hopefully this is a fever that we can feed and it will go away. If not, we may all have to figure out how to move Philadelphia further south. Talk to you soon.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Well, I guess there is some satisfacation in having the diagnois, right?

We miss you oodles, too...especially Miss Gracie who has been talking about you LOTS!

bree said...

Miss you...but what a fancy pic of you operating, doing what you do best