Monday, February 16, 2009

Felled by the flu

It started yesterday afternoon. I had been sitting on the couch for most of the day watching television. I had a whole list of things I needed to be doing, but couldn't get the energy to do any of them. I was wrapped up in several blankets and had the temperature turned up to 75 degrees, but still couldn't get warm. Then, the fevers started. Next the body aches. By this morning, even my toenails hurt. It felt as if I had been run over by a bus.

As much as it kills me to admit it, I am fairly certain that I have the flu. I had it once before (my fourth year of medical school). Since that time, I have been very careful to get my flu shot each year. If you have never had the flu, I can't say that I recommend it. It mostly feels like an enormous effort is needed to just breathe. The shot has worked until this year. Ironically, this is one of the "good" years - where the shot actually covers the flu strains that are out there. So much for modern medicine.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Article in the Tennessean just today how the flu is hitting very late this season --and for those who get it, it's BAD!!

Feel better, friend!

Unknown said...

Hope you feel better soon :)