Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Academic days

In Academic medicine (doctors who practice at teaching institutions) there is something known as an "academic" day. For surgeons, it is a day where you don't operate or have clinic. The time is supposed to be used for academic pursuits - i.e. bench research, paper writing or other administrative issues. Of course the residents don't get these, but the attendings seem to enjoy them immensely. Yesterday I took my first ever Academic day.

We had no cases yesterday - not sure why, but it just worked out that way. Therefore, I decided it was a waste of time to even come into the hospital. (The second year resident was on call and had to be here anyway.) Now you are probably thinking - great, she finally wrote that paper and finished those two book chapters she has been complaining about - well you would be wrong. My academic day consisted mostly of grooming with a little inauguration thrown in.

I got up at regular time and went to the gym. Turns out that there is actually a decent number of people at the gym starting around 6 am. I showered and had breakfast. By then the inauguration was starting to get interesting so I spent the next 3 hours sitting on my couch. . . tears streaming down my face at times. (It was in my opinion a fantastic ceremony. I am so excited to be living in this Country at this Time.) I had a hair appointment at two which took 3 hours, but the good news is that I actually like it. No horror stories like last time. I went to a real salon. The hairdresser thought it was hilarious that I had been so traumatized that I had not had a haircut in 5 months. I followed the new do with nails and finally trimmed up that uni brow problem. By now it was 6:30. Guys just don't understand how time consuming grooming can actually be.

I actually did participate in some academic pursuits - we had journal club. Sitting around eating shrimp while several "famous" cardiac surgeons yell at each other is actually quite fun. I would highly recommend it. All in all I got a new President, hair cut and nails out of the day. I would say it was a very productive day for "academics".

1 comments:

Kris said...

Pictures of the new hair, please!!!